June 10th, 2012
For many people, an important part of growing up is owning a dog. The ‘boy and his dog’ movie has long since become an archetype in Hollywood that isn’t going anywhere. That is a fact dog lovers won’t mind too much. Here are the 5 best movies for dog lovers:
1. Homeward Bound: A classic tale of loyalty. Three house pets (two dogs and a cat) try to find their way back to their owners home through harsh wilderness. An instant classic for the younger audiences.I found some more information here.
2. Beethoven: The most lighthearted selection on the list. Beethoven is a St. Bernard that causes a lot of trouble but always finds himself loved by his owners in the end.
3. Old Yeller: The name alone evokes heartache for anybody who had seen the film as a child. Old Yeller is the tale of a young farm boy in 1860′s who reluctantly finds himself befriends by a stray dog. This is a must see for any dog lover.
4. Where the Red Fern Grows: Another heart-breaker based on a book, much like Old Yeller. The themes of loyalty in this movie and the book it is based off of really capture what makes owning dogs great.
5. Marley and Me: This is a more recent film, but it certainly holds up with the classics. As a married couple go through ups and downs, they also find their canine friend to be a reliable source of comfort. This movie, in my mind, best captures the essence of owning a dog.