June 23rd, 2010
From unrequited love to fairytale romances, the last decade produced many memorable chick flicks. If you’re looking for a sappy film for a girl’s night or something fun to watch with that someone special, we’ve come up with our top picks from 2000-2009.
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002): When Toula Portokalos (Nia Vardalos) decides to get out of the family diner and make a few positive changes in her life, she stumbles into a fairy tale romance. Now, she’s faced with planning a wedding around her devoutly Greek and loud family. The perfect combination of laughs and heart-felt moments put this movie at the top of our list.
- Bridget Jones Diary (2001): This film, based on the book by Helen Fielding, chronicles a year in the life of Bridget Jones (Renee Zellwegger) as she journals her attempts at self-improvement and finding true love, which she discovers in Mark Darcy (Colin Firth).
- What Women Want (2000): After an accident where he electrocutes himself, Nick Marshall (Mel Gibson) gains the ability to hear women’s thoughts. He tries to use this to his advantage to get closer to his daughter and get ahead of female coworker, Darcy McGuire (Helen Hunt), until his plans go awry when he begins to fall in love with McGuire.
- Sex and the City (2008): The Movie: The much-anticipated movie version of this long-running sitcom was a huge hit at the box office. After Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) is left at the altar by Mr. Big (Chris Noth), the four best friends work together to heal wounds and build new futures, and a lot of broken hearts are mended along the way.
- Knocked Up (2007): E! News Reporter Alison Scott (Katherine Heigl) has a one night stand with Ben Stone (Seth Rogen) that leaves her pregnant. After deciding to keep the baby, Scott and Stone, comically named for his addiction to marijuana, embark on a journey of pregnancy, misunderstanding, and regret. But that baby’s still coming.
- Mamma Mia (2008): This feel-good musical about a young bride searching for her real father before the wedding is full of ABBA songs and great to sing along to. A star-studded cast makes this a must-see for any romantic comedy fan.
- Twilight Saga (2009): New Moon: The second movie in the Twilight series is full of romance, suspense, and beautiful people. After Edward (Robert Pattinson) leaves Bella (Kristen Stewart) for her own protection, the constantly shirtless, Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner), takes on the role of protecting the fragile young girl.
- Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants (2005): Four best friends must spend their first summer apart that turns out to be eventful and life-changing for them all. In an effort to stay in touch, they pass around a pair of pants that magically fits all of their, very-different, body types. A great film for the girls, reminding us all of the power of friendship.
- Sweet Home Alabama (2002): Easily watched again and again, Melanie Smooter (Reese Witherspoon) travels back from New York City to her hometown in Alabama to bury a few skeletons once and for all, before marrying her high-profile fianc. It turns out to be harder than she though, as old flames reignite.
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003): An advertising executive and a magazine writer enter into a relationship, each with ulterior motives. As luck would have it, they actually start to fall for one another, but then the secrets come out. Their comic relationship and ultimate reconciliation create a perfect combination of laughter and love.